Monday, May 11, 2009

Simple things

I went to the meeting of the Hexham Beekeepers yesterday. There will be bees in my future. The man who hosted the meeting has twenty hives and queen rearing is in full swing. I was so impressed with his bees -- very well behaved and non agressive, plus his own beekeeping skills. He was able to quickly demonstrate how to create an artificial swarm.
But it was the hum of bees, the smell of the honey and just the general being around the hives. Sheer bliss. I would urge anyone interested in beekeeping to attend the meetings of their local beekeeping association. With the apiary meetings, they do have extra suits for people to wear.
He is going to make up a nucleus -- this year's queen and several frames of brood for me. It should be ready in a few weeks.



I have put more puppy pictures on the blog as my sister informs that the pictures I sent her took far too long to download and my nieces enjoyed looking at the puppies. My youngest neice takes a keen interest in my family's pets even though she has never been to the UK.






10 comments:

Carol Townend said...

Michelle,
Those puppies are sooo sweet! And bees!! :))) Good news all round.

Alison said...

only just logged on to find that you lost your dog Joss - I'm so sorry. I think you're very kind to take on the two new little ones and I hope they bring you and your family as much happiness as Joss obviously did.

Joanne Coles said...

Yay on the bees! We keep getting lots of queen bees in our living room. I have to catch them on paper and get them out of the window quick because one of my foster daughters is terrified!

Kate Hardy said...

Great news about the bees. (I was thinking of you while I browsed the Sainsbury's magazine over lunch - apparently last week was Honey Week.)

Lovely pics of the puppies. The big pics didn't take *that* long to download, actually - but I'm all for seeing extra pics. My two have gone all broody!

Nell Dixon said...

So glad to hear you're getting more bees. My job share partner got a hive last year. Love the puppy pics.

Donna Alward said...

I am happy for your bees but will admit to having a fear and so would never want to keep them myself. However I AM doing my part in that our garden is blooming and so are the new apple trees. :-)

Julie Cohen said...

Bees and puppies. It's good to hear about all the new life in your life.

Your 9 year old niece said...

The puppies are so cute! When I grow up I want to get either a puppy or a kitten.

Unknown said...

Those puppies are soooooooooo cute. I might have to come and steal... I mean visit them (and you too).

I'm glad there are bees in your future too.

Bx

Kaye Manro said...

Oh I do love those puppies! Not so sure about the bees however...