Thursday, May 03, 2007

On ducklings and being left handed

We have ducklings -- six thus far. They are very cute. Only one is yellow. this year, however, we didn't want ducklings. The mother duck snuck away and had her ducklings. SIGH. We shall have to let nature take her course. The ducklings are having to fend for themselves in the garden. This afternoon they were sitting on the back lawn, and chasing flies.

There have been reports in the newspapers about left handedness and how it can shorten your life. I will admit to being left handed.
There is nothing I can do about it. It was the way I was born.
It can be awkward at times but mostly I cope. I keep telling myself how many creative people were born left-handed and leave it at that. I tend not to use special left handed tools, although sometimes I am given them. I am at a loss to explain a left handed fountain for example. I do have a pair of left handed sewing scissors. They work because they are sharp. When I was little, I used to be made to use the left handed scissors at school -- they were always blunt and would never cut paper. And I have learnt, I hope not elbow people at the table. I tend to try to sit so that I am at an end with my left elbow free, but maybe that is just a hangover from when I was little. I certainly don't consider it a disability, just vaguely awkward at times.

My wip continues and I am waiting for my revisions. I am planning on sending out my newsletter in the next few days -- probably after the Bank Holiday, just because I am being lazy.

3 comments:

Donna Alward said...

I'm left handed too, and I don't even use a lefty mouse. You just adapt. I do, like you, have lefty sewing scissors. But my Singer scissors work better and they are just the plain high quality scissors. Worst for me? Manual can openers. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lefty too! Like Donna I think I just adapted for most stuff but yes, what is it with the can openers?! Scissors are not a problem...nor is a righty mouse...
x Abby Green

Kate Walker said...

I'm officially right handed but I do a lot of things with my left hand, specially 'mousing' - which drives my husband crazy when he wants to use my computer but suits Anne McAllister who is also a lefty!

Perhaps there is something in this 'left handed people are creative' thing. Yoou, Anne, Donna, Abby - and me half and half!

Kate