Monday, October 02, 2006

What a difference a complete draft can make

Yesterday, the white hot heat of writing came upon me. In many ways as the computer was doing a complete scan, this was not good.
I sat curled up on my sofa, scribbling away.At first it was going to be snippets and running order, then it became expanded and I did most of the last chapter plus epilogue.
Then it was church and the ideas started to flow thick and fast. I did draw the line at taking notes during the sermon! But it was a case of *hold that thought*, get home scribble some more, check the stupid virus scan, scribble some more, do jobs around the house, scribble. If you have ever had the misfortune to see my handwriting, you will understand why I say scribble. You know it is bad when you can barely make out the words.
Then the scan stopped. No viruses. The computer was free.
Next it was my just keep writing technique. Put it down and see where you get to. Finally four hours plus later, the first draft was done!
Bad pages I can fix. Awkward sentences can be polished. Ping ponging talking heads in space can be layered. The important thing is that is done. I have the clay and straw to work with.
I have decided for me, a first draft is not a 100 page outline or a synopsis. These tools can aid, but a first draft is something over the guideline word count, where the vast majority of my story is in place. I do do synopsis, out line, sometimes character studies but these are not actual drafts. There is a difference.
By the time I had finished, I felt energized. This is a change as I had been feeling exhausted and going to bed early.
Thus I was able to watch the second episode of Jane Eyre with Toby Stephens as Mr Rochester. Very good viewing but then I used to adore the gothic genre.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on finishing the first draft.

Me too on the Jane Eyre adaptation - I'm rather enjoying it. Good casting. I'm dying to see what they've made of Bertha - and St John Rivers.

Nell Dixon said...

Yay on finishing the first draft.

Donna Alward said...

Yay! And curses that I don't have Jane Eyre here...yet.

I agree, my first draft is also rather complete and needs refining. I have to be somewhere near the right word count.

Natasha Oakley said...

You know I like Toby Stephen's Rochester. Really very sexy.

Anonymous said...

Hooray you!!!