Monday, April 04, 2011

Made in Dagenham

For Mothering Sunday, my family gave me Made in Dagenham -- a feel good comedy about women's rights in 1960's Britain, in particular the machinists at Ford's Dagenham factory. Because of their efforts, Britian enjoys an Equal Pay law (something I am not sure the US as a whole has yet). The movie had Bob Hoskins who is brill as the shop steward who got the fact that women deserve to paid the amount as men. The character was brought up by his widowed mother who earnt 40p for every pound that a man doing the same job would earn. Sally Hawkins shines as Rita OGrady, the reluctant leader of the women who grows in confidence through out the film.
It has sparked loads of conversation with my daughter about the unfairness of the situation. I am sure it has raised awareness about something that people in Britain now take for granted.
It should be seen by as many people as possible. It is wonderfully uplifting and it does restore your faith in human nature. Plus the soundtrack is brill.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Sounds a great film Michelle - I must buy it. And I used to work for Barking and Dagenham Council so no excuse really. The Ford factory is still there in all it's vastness, it is a *huge* place! Caroline x