Saturday, December 03, 2005

Winter means wet

It is tipping it down, the sort of weather that makes me want to curl up next a fire with a good book and a hot mug of tea.

Last night, having rescued Liz Fielding's The Marriage Miracle from my middle's room, I was able to do just that. Luckily my dh had decided to have an early night as tears were streaming down my face. It was such a lovely lovely book, unput downable. Kate Hardy has already tipped it for a RITA and if it doesn't get one, all I can say is that the book that does win will have to be out of this world. A thoroughly enjoyable story and I urge anyone who hasn't read it to do so.

I did my usual bit at Tesco of rearranging the books so that books by friends will appear first and foremost. Umm all the Liz Fieldings were sold out. Most of the HIstoricals had gone as well. I managed to pick up The Christmas Visit which is a historical Christmas Anathology.

My middle tells me that The Captain's Lady which is by a new author whose name escapes me is very good. The book is missing, presumed in the middle's bedroom. I have read Jenna Kernan's Winter Woman and enjoyed it. One good thing about the combining of Harlequin Historical and M&B Historical is that more Westerns are now making their way over here. This one dealtwith trappers and was set in 1835 in the Rockies. As my mother lived in Denver for a few years, and when we visited, we did ltos of sight seeing, it was great to read about the region.

One of my favourite restuarants in Denver is The Fort which is run by Sam'l P Arnold and is an exact replica of Bent's Old Fort. If you ever are in Denver, make the time and go. You won't be disappointed, but the Hailstorm drinks are not for the unwary.... The food at the Fort is modelled on recipes from the 19th century. Mr Arnold is one of the foremost food historians of the era. His Eating Up the Santa Fe Trail gives real insight into the way everyone ate. Much better than I had imagined. I read the book when I was going through my trying to tame the solid fuel Aga stage and was really fascinated by the way people cooked in the past. As the Aga has been converted to oil, it is no longer a necessity to use the heat but old recipes still hold a fascination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading next to a roaring fire with a cup of cocoa. Mmm...

Great that the historicals are selling well. Cheers to that!

Liz Fielding said...

Thanks for rescuing me, Michelle. I'm beginning to think that the book should have a "tissue" warning on the cover!

Lovely and yet at the same time sad to be sold out so early. How many people would have bought the book if there had been more copies available? Sigh...