Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Fourth of July

Today is the fourth of July and the flags will be going up. I will wear my grandmother's flag pin and generally spend the day enjoying the fact that I am American.
Once I met an ex-pat who said that they did not bother, but I have always bothered.
I loved the fourth of July as a child and have seen no reason to stop. Even though sometimes, the neighbours have given me odd looks. My children all enjoy the celebration. But we do not have fireworks as they are saved for the fifth of November when it gets dark early. Plus my daughter has never liked the bangs.
But I shall be making my seven layer dip, as well as Boston baked beans in the bean pot that travelled to Chicago in the covered wagon in the 1840s. (What can I say except that pack rats run in my family) I shall also make corn bread in the cast iron pan that my grandfather used -- the bread comes out shaped like ears of corn. Like bits of tradition. It helps teach the children about their American heritage. After all they are dual citizens.
Hope the day is a good one for all who celebrate.

8 comments:

Nell Dixon said...

Happy Fourth of July, hope you have a lovely day.

michellewillingham said...

Happy Fourth!

Donna Alward said...

My mum had a bean jar like that...probably not quite as old, but beans really do need to be make in a bean jar. I usually end up making mine in a roaster.

THe cornbread sounds fun! I'm the only one that likes it, so I eat it rarely. WIth lots of butter melting in....mmmmmm! Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Fourth of July!

Sue

Carrie Lofty said...

I always forget you're American :)

Happy Fourth!

We plan to do the same thing with our girls, growing up half-Brit here in the States. They'll still come across as the American cousins when we visit family in Surrey, but at least they'll know the history and traditions.

Jane said...

Happy July 4th.

Michelle Styles said...

Many thanks for the good wishes.
I did have a lovely day.

Cheryl St.John said...

Sounds like an American-style celebration for sure. We had steaks on the grill, romaine salad and potato salad. It was quick and easy since we worked in the gardens and then had family over for supper.