Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First review fo An Impulsive Debutante and writing competition


Realms on Our Bookshelves has sent through their review of An Impulsive Debutante and it had me smiling.


Realms are a Dutch site and cater mainly to an Europe wide audience of women who read English novels but who want to discuss them in their own language. I always find their reviews to be thought provoking.


Anyway my favourite bit was: Michelle Styles writing is easy and compelling to read, her characters are fleshed out well and as always she has an eye for accurate, historical details. She does not overwhelm you with lots of supporting characters and difficult storylines. She keeps it straight and light to read and makes sure that at all times the romance takes precedence. That does not mean that her stories are shallow or common, Michelle Styles gives her stories depth by making her characters undergo changes and grow stronger throughout the story.

As it was what I was aiming for, I was very pleased. Feedback is such a gift and I am often too close to my work. But I do so cherish hearing what others think. And of course, Lottie occupies a special place in my heart.

Joanne Carr emailed me to ask if I would would not mind posting something about the Modern Heart Wrting competition. As I do enjoy the Modern Heat line, I am happy to oblige. In case you have not heard:




Based on the success of the Instant Seduction competition that we ran earlier this year, we have decided to call on all aspiring Modern Heat authors and are launching:
The FEEL THE HEAT writing competition!
Do you have a fresh, vibrant, sassy voice and a passion for sexy alpha heroes? Can you write sparky dialogue, create great sensual tension and hot love-scenes?
If so, then we want to hear from you!
Details:
Email your first chapter and synopsis of a Modern Heat novel to: feeltheheat@hmb.co.uk by 15th September 2008
The WINNER receives an editor for a year!
TWO RUNNERS-UP will be given critiques of their first chapter entries and an editorial telephone consultation!
The winner will be announced October 1st 2008
The Modern Heat guidelines can be found here
Writing Contest: Mills & Boon Modern Heat Writing Guidelines and I have asked some of our existing Modern Heat authors to blog throughout this period to share writing tips and their experiences.
If you look through the I Heart Presents archives (particularly for November and December 2007) you will find many useful tips and guidelines that are relevant for this competition.
And now for the serious part!
Rules:
Your entry must be aimed at Modern Heat
Your entry must NOT have been submitted previously to Harlequin Mills & Boon
Only ONE entry per person
Submissions received after the closing date will NOT be assessed!
More detailed legal rules will be posted at a later date.
We look forward to hearing from you soon and I will be back to give you updates!
Updated to add: official rules are
now available here.


1 comment:

Donna Alward said...

Congrats on the great review!