Saturday, June 04, 2011

Update on reshaping my writer's bottom line

This week, I decided that I couldn't face Jillian Michaels and as I had bought the 10 minute blast off belly fat dvd back when this whole exercise kick began, I would take it out of the wrapper and see what it was like. After all I had bought it. I opted for the full 50 minute workout. Suzanne Bowen is clear, concise and works you hard. She is a different personality to Jillian Michaels. It is a bit like changing editors.  Her manner may be gentle but she works you hard and goes on about the burn and feeling your body changing. I didn't think I was working as hard but I ended up marinated in sweat.
Suzanne is very keen on getting the right form and actually gives lots of tips like tucking your hips, navel to the spine etc that I think Jillian assumes you already do. It was quite fun to do and the next day my abs were sore. Within two days, I noticed more definition, a lot more. So on that basis, I ordered the two other dvds in the series that Suzanne does -- Blast Off Body Fat and Pilate's Perfect Body. Each are divided into 5 segments lasting ten minutes a piece. Body Fat came with a bonus dvd that includes 5 best of segments. Each segment is self contained so if you are pressed for time, you can do one segment. My current plan is to do a rotation of 5 days of each until I get to the RWA conference. I finished the first five days of Belly Fat one yesterday and so went for the Blast Off Body Fat. On the reviews on Amazon, someone mentioned that they had unwisely done the thighs and bottom segments in the same day and could not walk afterwards. Ha, I thought, but I am used to Jillian. Give me your worst!
I did the entire sequence.
My legs were like jelly after the trim thighs. I am capable of more than I think, and kept going. After the bottom one, came the abs and then total body which I remember in a dull haze of sweat and pain. There is NO jumping, just lots of little moves including a sadistic put the weight in the crook of your knee and lift sequence. 'Are your muscles shaking?' she asks -- to which the only answer is YES
 Suzanne is cheerful and perky. She does all the exercises herself, taking time to offer tips and hints and when she talks about it burning etc, you know she is experiencing it as well. Except she seems much more in control. She is also hugely encouraging but without  the forthright exhortation of Jillian.  When I got to the end, I understood and continue to understand that I will ache in a good way tomorrow. I was more than marinated but currently I can walk. Bring on tomorrow.

In a few days time, I will get to do the Pilate's one. It can't be too difficult, right? Hollow laughter here.
Some of it is having the motivation to do the workout. To a certain extent, it doesn't matter which one you do as long as you do it and are lathered in sweat by the end. The good part is that I am excited about exercising again.

And The Viking Princess gave me a Sweet Blogger award. The viking Princess has a very interesting blog so do take some time to visit)

The Rules of this award are pretty simple:
1. Thank and link to the person who nominated you.

2. Share 7 random facts about yourself.


So, here are my random facts about me:
* My maternal grandfather was Swedish/Norwegian
* I have discovered in order to lose weight, I have to sweat
*My next full manuscript is due on 1 September
* Thus far in my career with Harlequin I have had six different editors and have learnt tons from each one. I adore my current editor who is tough but with loads of heart.
*I have lymphoedemia in my left arm. It is under control.
*I am left handed
*I suffered from early onset cataracts due to my Swedish ancestry (7 generations and counting. I also blame the ancestry for my bad back) Having them sorted five years ago helped to transform my life.
 
I am supposed to nominate other people but really if anyone feels so inclined please do so and let me know that you have done it so I can visit!

1 comment:

Chris Olesen said...

It's interesting what you say about to lose weight you have to sweat. I never really thought about that. I'm not much of a sweater, but I do know that I sweated when I attended some kick boxing sessions last year. I'll keep that in mind and make sure I choose a workout where I can work up a sweat.