Thursday, July 02, 2009

Making love in a canoe

Yesterday was Canada Day and I learnt from Margaret Moore that one definition of a Canadian is someone who has made love in a canoe. I had never heard that about Canadians before! And my mind boggled as canoes tend to be rather cramped affairs and inclined to tip if one is on the water and open to the elements. I assume the journalist who coined the phrase was speaking about the large canoes rather than the one man kayaks. And I wondered about bugs. Bugs, lakes and canoes tend to go together. But bugs and romance are not a natural combination. Maybe in a story where the bugs can be airbrushed out...
Any way, it is an interesting insight into Canadian life...or may be it is a vanished way of life and Canadians have become far more staid.
Hopefully all Canadians had a great time yesterday -- in and out of canoes.

I am busy with my wip -- moving scenes about as I woke up in the middle of the night and realised that it would be better if...so I am doing it.This book has been a strange one to write. But then hopefully the end product will be worth it. It is all about the experience that the reader gets rather than the journey that author takes to get there. And every scene must move the main story forward.

Hardy managed to get into my husband's study yesterday morning and decided that the pile of magazines were left for his pleasure, rather than magazines my husband intends to read at some point. It took several minutes BEFORE I realised why he was being good and quiet. The study took rather longer to clean up as it was extreme anti-womble behaviour. My husband's pile of reading material has now been pruned...

2 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

I'm just thinking of the consequences. And where a gnat might bite...

Donna Alward said...

Pierre Berton is a Canadian icon - I really enjoyed the link you sent about the canoe - which was a bit about him and his prolific career.

My first exposure to him was a game show called "Definition". The theme song made a resurgence thanks to Austin Powers....