Monday, September 08, 2008

Indoor rowing -- week 3 and duckling update

The rowing is continuing and the benefits are clear to see. I can now row for 30 minutes without stopping and my time has been improving. This has caused me to be able to fit into some of my trousers again. I also feel far more energetic and alert.
My creativity appears to have returned or at least I am seeing things more clearly. Why I could not have seen them six months ago is a vexing irritation but now, I am excited about the possibilities.
It remains early days but I am ever so glad that we subcumbed and got one.
The three ducklings are now at the fluffy dinosaur stage. If you want prehistoric beasts, you should see them. The mother duck will occassionally go off with justo ne duckling, leaving the other two on the lawn. The garden echoes to the sound of weep, weep, weep.

I am starting to get a handle on my revisions -- in part thanks to the rowing -- it should be excellent once it is done and dusted. Sometimes, I think I am like Thomas Edison and have to find 9,999 ways it doesn't work first until I finally find the right way. But really, what I was thinking about? Fundamental to good story telling is The Hero Leads and does not simply react. Make the turning points active. Luckily I have nice editors who trust me to turn it around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's lots to be said for repetitive motion and improving creativity, Michelle. That rowing may be improving more than your waistline, you know? Washing dishes, mopping, and driving help me lots when I am struggling with characters or plot.

LindaC

Donna Alward said...

I used to like running for the same reason. The rhythm of my steps and my breathing patterns had such a neat effect. However now bad knees have contributed to it being a walking, not a running pace.

Hooray for you...and I know it looks like a lot of work but we both know that your book will be better for it...it is the beauty of revisions. And distance. :-)