Saturday, December 05, 2009

Educating Aspiring Authors

As I firmly believe that people have to know about a business before getting in and there has been a great deal of talk about that most ancient of publishing methods -- self publishing.
I would like to highly recommend aspiring authors read this article on the Great Myth of Self Publishing.
Furthermore, the blog How Publishing Really Works is also excellent.


For me, personally, I am very happy with a commercial publishing model (a rather newer model than self publishing btw) for my fiction. But I am also very grateful that my great grandmother privately published her memoirs of her children growing up and even before that a friend of my great great grandmother privately published an account of the Christmas she spent with my great great great grandparents during the American Civil War. Both books are treasured family heirlooms. You simply have to know your market.

Education is vital.

No comments: