Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Katherine Garbera who writes Desire and is another American living in the UK (actually she lives in the same town as my in laws!) ask me to do this meme. You can read her answers from last week here. And her books are wonderful as well. Well worth a read.

What is the title of your next book?

An Ideal Husband? comes out in April 2013 in the UK and North America. I believe India as well and Australia/New Zealand follow in May 2013

Where did the idea for the book come from?

The idea for the first scene popped into my brain several years ago when I was trying to write a single title. Then I used it when I was crafting To Marry A Matchmaker as back story but last year my heroine, Sophie Ravel sat me down  and said I had to write her story and that she knew I really wanted to.

What genre does your book fall under?

Warm, witty and intimate historical romance. It is set in the 1850s so it is an early Victorian. Some places it will get marketed as a Regency. It is very odd to me but Rengency in publishing is a very flexible term.

 

What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

A Keanu Reeves type  from around his Point Break days for Richard and a Sally Pressman type for Sophie.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

These books are traditionally published by Harlequin/Mills & Boon.

 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

I started about mid January 2012, and then had to change quite a lot after my editor had seen the first three chapters. I was explaining to a dear friend about the problem  and she said the hero can’t  be like that. Then suddenly everything was clear and  I wrote the story (all 72 k) as I had to almost start from scratch in 3 weeks. It was great fun to write once I had everything clear.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Julia Quinn, Lisa Kleypass and Georgette Heyer are all writers whose style I admire. I wanted to write a warm, witty and intimate romance which had a lot of accurate historical detail.

 

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My daughter in addition to the Sophie character demanded I write Sophie’s story as she wanted to know what happened to her after  To Marry A Matchmaker.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

It is a pretend engagement which develops into something more story. And there is a nod to PG Wodehouse with pigs. I adore PG Wodehouse.

 

I was going to tag various authors but they appear to have done this so if anyone wants to take up the baton, please do so and tell me where it is posted.

No comments: