Thursday, May 07, 2009

Slices of pie

The US Mother's Day happens on Sunday. It is a day of peace and has a totally different foundation than the UK Mothering Sunday. Anyway, my aunt sent me a load of sayings about mothers.


A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.--Tenneva Jordan

Does anyone know who Tenneva Jordan is? I can find the quote and it is attributed to her, but can I find out anything about this woman? All I can find is the quote. So I would be interested to know more about her. Was she only a mother? Why did she say it? When did she say it? If you know, I would like to find out.

I have been in this situation before and have foregone the pie. Sometimes, and perhaps this means I am not a good mother, I have divided the four pieces between five. Because the number of pieces does depend on how you slice it. And it can better for everyone to have a taste, than for one person to gobble it up.
Equally I suspect that my husband would say that the first stance does lead towards martyred mother syndrome. Particularly if you have been looking forward to a taste of pie...

2 comments:

Alison said...

I like that quote too, but I agree sometimes it's better for everyone to see that there's a fair share divided up. My brother and I when we were little used the system that one would cut the cake or whatever, and the other gots first pick of the slices. A powerful incentive to try to make them even!

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a mother, I'd announce I already ate the other pie.

(Quite often, it would even be true.)

mpe