Friday, March 20, 2009

Film on Friday plus vampires

I am blogging today at the Pink Heart Society about The African Queen which happens to be one of my favourite adventure romances. It is a movie that stands the test of time. I had been going to blog about The Prince and Me but decided on balance to write about a movie that I loved. Emotionally satisfying endings are where it is at.

Yesterday, I finally succumbed and read Bram Stoker. It is a novel told through journals and letters with a high amount of the Gothic. At first it seems like a hard read but it flows very quickly once you get into it. Stoker was writing in the hey day of the Shocker after all.
The one thing I noticed was how well grounded it was in detail. Ian Fleming also used this technique. (He even claimed to have invented it but as with many things, it was probably tried and trusted before Fleming or Stoker even picked up a pen) Get the little things right and the reader is able to suspend disbelief on the large things. It is one of those books that I wish I had read years ago as it is not as gruesome as I thought it would be. But it is a story that really grabs you and won't let you go. A story with bite. ( I could think up more puns but won't)

No comments: