Monday, October 06, 2008

Salsa Verde

Yesterday, my husband decided the time was right and he and the boys harvested the vegetable garden as well the greenhouse.
I the kitchen, we now have piles of chiles, a few pumpkins, marrows and tomatillos. Pounds and pounds of tomatillos. They are a relative of the cape gooseberry, and the best thing to do with tomatillos is to make salsa verde. This is a cooked green chile sauce with tomatillos, chiles, onions, vinegar and coriander and cumin.
My husband has also pointed out not unreasonably that I am the person who does all the preserving.
Salsa verde is relatively easy to make, if 1. you have a food processor to chop things (mine bit the dust in September), 2. a hot stove (the Aga needs to be shut off later today as it is getting serviced tomorrow) so this means it needs to be done today. 3. time -- I have a to do list the length of my arm. SIGH. It will get done...
Why is it whenever you are busy, more things keep being added?
Roll on Sorrento at the end of the month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the way it always is. What, may I ask, are marrows? Do we have anything like that in the States? If so, what are they called?
I have Writing the Breakout Novel workbook, but I need to order the book, too. It's next on my list.

Best of luck with all of the preserving. You'll do fine. You're so well organized.

LindaC

Michelle Styles said...

A marrow is the name given for a large zucinni. You know the ones where the skin has gone hard and they have grown huge. They are best served stuffed.

I try to use my courgette/zucinnis before they grow large, but several escape every year.And my husband waxes lyrical about the marrow.