Monday, February 18, 2008

When your cp makes you cry


I am very lucky. Donna Alward is my critque partner and she is a rising star for Harlequin Mills and Boon Romance. It means that I get to see her work at a very early stage. Then I get to read her work when the book comes out. I get to see how she takes the rough ideas and turns them into a stunning book.


The Soldier's Homecoming is a meltworthy sweet romance. I had tears streaming down my face in three places. It is a secret baby story, but it does make sense. Jonas and Shannyn had a whirlwind romance when he was doing basic training. he left. She discovered that she was pregnant and never bother to tell him. It happens. And in some ways it reminds me of An Officer and A Gentleman with the women left behind after flight school. Six years later, he returns and they are both forced to confront their own hearts. Jonas is no longer the eager young recruit, but a hardened soldier, wounded in battle and struggling to make sense of his life. Shannyn is not the young naive secretary, but a compentent single mother who has carved a life for herself and her child.
The setting is Canadian, and I think it demonstrates how right Donna was to focus on setting her books there.
I really enjoyed it and I think Donna's skills are truly growing with each book.
It is a March Release for both Harlequin and Mills & Boon Romance.

1 comment:

Donna Alward said...

I worked you and Maddie very hard with this book so I'm glad you liked how it turned out. You KNOW what it means to me.

I think I know two places where you cried, but can't figure the third. :-)

D