Saturday, May 15, 2010

Solar powered savings



As regular readers of this blog will recall, back in September my tumble dryer broke and managed to fry clothes. I decided to go green and to adopt the age old solar powered dryer method (and on wet days Aga powered drying). I had done it. Become used to pegging clothes out.


There were a few hiccups. Value washing lines tend to break in the wind. I am very happy now with the large Brabantia rotary and coverI found at Lakeland, combined with the four tiered indoor dryer (again from Lakeland) and the wooden airer over the Aga (got that when we moved in 14 years ago).


However, how much was I saving? A good tumble dryer costs around £300 plus, particularly as I wanted a condensing one. So I knew I had saved money by purchasing my various implements about £150.


But what about the running costs? How much was I saving electricity? I had my answer yesterday when my electric bill arrived. Because I pay on direct debit and they adjust the bill after seeing the consumption, they will be refunding me over £240. I worked out that it was a £1 a day saving on electricity (approx). They have also lowered my bill by £20 per month but the calculation still contains tumble dryer usage.
All in all, I am glad that I did this.

3 comments:

Carol Townend said...

If you are really into working out the costs, think about the wear and tear on the fabric if it is swirling aroung in a tumble dryer. Things wear out more quickly if they are tumble-dried! (I did an experiment, and it's true...) So drying on airers or outside does make sense!

Caroline said...

It's amazing how much a tumble drier eats up that money. Caroline x

Donna Alward said...

Our bill evens out. When I start hanging out my clothes in warmer weather (use my tumble dryer in the winter and for towels) the bill should go down, but it's about that time we start running the pump for the pool, so we stay about the same.

NOTHING smells better than clothes off the line though. :-)