Saturday, February 27, 2010

Steramy but acceptable books

The new managing director of Harlequin Mills and Boon, Mandy Ferguson gave an interview to the BBC's Today programme last week. You can hear a repeat of it here. I had the pleasure of meeting Mandy last autumn and was very impressed with her. She has experience with bringing energy and vitality to National Treasure brands. She worked miracles with Ryvita and I can't wait to see what the autumn brings...Content is fine but the covers need updating seems to be the message. And anything that is going to sell more of my books is fine by me!

It always makes me laugh when interviewers think HMB should be worried about not winning any Booker awards. HMB is all about POPULAR women's fiction, not high brow fiction that appeals to a very small section of the population. HMB prints books that deliver on the promise of being excellent page turners.

Right now, I am reading aloud my latest ms and trying to get it up to a page turning read. Then it is trying my hand at an Undone.

2 comments:

Nicola Cornick said...

Absolutely, Michelle. I think interviewers consistently get confused about storytelling. Mills & Boon books deliver a fabulous entertaining and escapist read. They are popular fiction at its best.

Caroline said...

Here's to the future! Caroline x