Saturday, December 09, 2006

Sold and Seduced copies

>


Sold and Seduced arrived today and I finally was able to see my cover.





It is a lovely seductive cover BUT it has nothing to do with the book. I am not sure why it was chosen.


The heroine's hair colour is wrong and they never kiss in a pond with catkins, but it is a lovely and evocative cover. And I trust my editors to have chosen a cover that will sell the book.


As some of you may know, this book was inspired by a conversation with Kate Walker. She was explaining about her book The Antonakos Marriage and the hamster wheels started turning in my head. At last a really solid reason for a marriage of convenience. I kept nodding my head, as she explained some of her revision problems but only listened with half an ear. I know what I thought she said. I could not get the premise and the idea out of my mind. And I told Kate, and with her permission as there is no copyright on ideas, I started to write.


Kate very kindly sent me a copy of TAM to read while I had my first eye operation. At this point Sold and Seduced was about half done. When I read The Antonakos Marriage (and it is a very good read btw and I have a few copies of TAM that I will be giving away when the UK paperback of Sold and Seduced is published), I realized that I had not heard properly at all. Sold and Seduced is a very different story with a very different plot line. Perhaps I need to have my ears checked!

The one thing it shares in common is the Beauty and the Beast premise -- a woman sacrificing herself for the sake of her father and his position in society.


If you ever get the chance, do go and take a course with Kate. She is a wonderful teacher and mentor. I defy you to go and not have your head come away buzzing with ideas. If not her book -- Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance is an excellent resource.





Oh and I have just looked at Kate Walker's blog and seen the cover for The Antonakos Marriage in the US. Kate and I share an editor who knows the story of my inspiration. My editor who is a Bad Influence has a wicked sense of humour. I think I now understand the reasoning behind my cover. Very amusing...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I got my copies for Driving Him Wild today, too.

It's a great cover and a great title and I know it will be a hit!

Anonymous said...

(I mean Sold and Seduced, not Driving Him Wild. Darn ambiguous pronouns.)

Sela Carsen said...

Y'all are funny. Loved The Antonakos Marriage, so I'm sure Sold and Seduced will be a hit!

And Michelle, darling, you've been tagged. ;)

Anonymous said...

lol looks nice though.
Nell Dixon