Monday, September 05, 2011

Suddenly my baby is an adult

21 years ago I became a mother. The c-section was supposed to happen a week later but my son had his own ideas (he always does). They weren't overly busy in maternity that day and it did seem like I was in labour, so out he came. He had been breech -- just to be different. My other two were normal births but he was the c-section. It is a MAJOR operation and people just toss the word around like it is normal. It takes a long time to recover. It is not an easy option. I still sometimes talk about how my eldest scarred me for life. He doesn't find it amusing.
When he was about 6 weeks old, I can remember taking him to the clinic and thinking that I had all the time in the world before he turned 5 and started school. After all at  that point with a child who didn't sleep, every day felt like a lifetime. But I had once stitched something for a friend that said at the end, I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep. And I did remember that.
 Five rolled around and he started school. It seemed like an age until... But now it doesn't and he is an adult. Luckily I remembered that children don't keep either. And despite absent mindely agreeing to let him to go Moscow once when I was writing, I like to think that we made time for each other.
I am terribly proud of the adult that he has become. Life and all its wonders beckons.
All I can say is hug your babies and enjoy your children at whatever age they are because they don't keep.

3 comments:

Rula Sinara said...

Happy Birthday to your son, and to you! My mom always said that mom's deserve recognition on each child's birthday. My first born's deliver was complicated, which is why I ended up needing c-sxns on the next two. I hear you on the recovery.

Over the past few days, I've been thinking along the same lines as this post. My first born turns 14 soon and he just surpassed me in height and shoe size. It was a strange fact to take in!

Nell Dixon said...

Many happy returns to your son. My first was breech too but I ended up with 3 c sections. They grow up way too fast.

Michelle Styles said...

thank you both.
We had a good day ( I think) I spent part of last night looking at old pictures. Lip wobbles here. They really do grow up so fast.

Being shorter than your teenaged son is how it should be Rula. The alternative is not working thinking about! Just remember you remain their mother, and you were the one to change their nappies. You deserve their respect. They need to earn yours as it were. Natasha Oakley told me that several years ago and it has made things easier.