Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Guilty Pleasures -- The Mills and Boon Documentary

Guilty Pleasures, the documentary on Mills and Boon will be shown on More 4 at 10 pm tonight. It follows the lives of five people touched by Mills & Boon including Roger Sanderson who writes as Gill Sanderson. Part of the bit they filmed was Roger attending the annual Association of Mills & Boon Author lunch. That year was the last year I was in charge and the cameras did roll as I did my welcome bit. Right now I hope that it ended up on the cutting room floor. If not, then hopefully people will see that Mills & Boon authors are a family and we do actively welcome new authors. The amount of effort and sheer hard work plus determination that goes into selling to Harlequin should not be underestimated or valued. In fact it should be celebrated and that is one of the things AMBA does try to do. That year, new authors were given glass pendants in the shape of a leaf to remind them they were a part of a much bigger tree.
I didn't get to go last year as my daughter was ill but I understand the event was again warm and welcoming. I am looking forward to this year's event.
I just hope that the documentary does not mock the readers, the people who derive so much pleasure from the books.   The books are escapist fantasy but they do provide a ray of sunshine in people's existence. They can help people through troubled times.

In other news, I had a lovely review from Julie Bonello of cataromance for Breaking the Governess's Rules. She gave the book 4.5 stars and wrote
Written with class, skill and flair, Breaking the Governess’ Rules is a beguiling historical romance by a true virtuoso of the genre. Michelle Style sure knows how to pen a breath-taking, heart-pounding and dazzling Regency and Breaking the Governess’ Rules sparkles with her particular brand of powerful emotion, intense passion and poignant romance.
You can read the full review here.


Julie has reviewed all my full length historicals and she has also recently started her own review site -- Bookish Jottings. She is a true lover of the genre and a tireless reviewer. And her reviews have provided a ray of sunshine in my life.

3 comments:

Morton S Gray said...

Thanks Michelle, box set to record. Mx

Caroline said...

Great review Michelle. Thanks for the tip about to documentary tonight, I had forgotten it was on. Caroline x

Marguerite Kaye said...

I thought this was an absolutely fantastic documentary, beautifully observed without any (overt) commentary, it not only encapsulated why people turn to M&B books, but also told some extremely touching love stories as it unfolded. I had a lump in my throat by the end of it. And on a personal note, I cheered when Gil/Roger riposted on the usual 'how many do you churn out' question, hurrah! Loved it, so nice to see a really well-made documentary that doesn't have a pop.
marguerite